Thursday, December 2, 2010

Inspirational 12/03/10 A Kind of a Christmas Story

A Kind of a Christmas Story
Author: Randy Keith

I was born in 1936. As a boy in 1945 I lived in a typical small southern town. All of us were involved in what was to be called the war to end all wars. Of course we all now know that the man who called it that was not a prophet of God. Some were actually fighting while some of us were still at home but we were all emotionally involved in that terrible war.

In May that year a revival was started in what I think was the second largest church in the town. As a church its personality was one of stiff, albeit friendly and maybe even Christian, competition with the largest church in town. Of course they wanted to become as large or larger, but certainly never as “moderate”. Some in the smaller church would even suggest that the biggest church was “liberal” in their worship and interpretation of God’s word. People didn’t think of that as a very nice thing to say about folks in that area in that era. We now refer to the area as the “Bible Belt” of the country (some in a not so nice way) and I am convinced that in that era even sinners were more attuned to the voice of God than many so-called Christians are today.

You would think, looking back with a little knowledge about human nature, that this was a perfect time for revival. Folks were already praying hard for our nation and especially for our soldiers in the war. I doubt, though, that this revival will ever be referred to as an example of what you want your revivals to be like. I believe most of the members liked the evangelist’s preaching. However, although my memory isn’t too clear on this point, for the entire two weeks I don’t remember a single “sinner” going forward during the “altar call” to get saved. Except for members rededicating their lives to Christ” there was certainly little activity. Naturally everyone was always glad for the Christians to rededicate their lives, but in this area of the country, a revival’s success was usually measured by the number of folks who got saved.

I personally don’t remember too much about the proceedings. I don’t remember a word that was preached. However, I was already more than a little concerned about “where I’d spend eternity”. I was being raised by God-fearing parents and was certainly very much aware that there was a wonderful place called Heaven where any one with a lick of sense wanted to live after they died. I knew as much or more about the alternative and was not too excited with my current prospects. With every revival service the feeling that I should respond to the “invitation” grew stronger. My heart would race and my ears would burn so hot I figured everyone could see them and knew that I was already feeling the heat from my future abode, but I just couldn’t get my feet to move.

After the regular service on the last Thursday evening before the revival closed there was a prayer meeting in a small Sunday School room in the basement of the church. Fewer than ten people were in attendance but I won’t tax my memory with the identity of but three of them. My mother and I were there and Jesus was there. I already knew about Him. When I left that little room that night I knew Him. No, most folks wouldn’t call it a very successful revival as revivals went in those days, but it was the most successful revival of my life. No, it wasn’t Christmas, but for one little boy it is the night Jesus was born because that night He was born in my heart. That manger scene means nothing without the birth of Jesus in your heart.

I was nine years old then and except for some time off for “bad behavior” that is the birth of Jesus I have tried to celebrate in my heart and life daily ever since. After all these years our relationship is still not what it should be from my side. I have come to love Jesus more with the passage of time. Although I still love Him with imperfect love, I am secure in the knowledge of his perfect love for me. I am trying each day … well, nearly each day, to understand and apply a little more of His love to my life. It may sound a bit selfish to some that I seem to just concern myself with His love for me. However, while you can’t do anything to stop Him from loving you just as much as He loves me, at the same time I can do nothing to cause you to appropriate His love for you.

I can tell you that this story is true.

It is my story of His story. His story is history. Your story is still future. If you have not already done so there is still time to celebrate the birth of Jesus today for the first time, or again.

Please Read: (KING JAMES VERSION)

Romans 3:23       
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
You are a sinner. (All means you.)

Romans 6:23       
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Because of that you deserve to die, but instead God offers you a free gift of eternal life.

Romans 10:9-10   
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
The way to receive that free gift.

and   

St. John 3:16       
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
A bonus verse. Confirmed!  Everlasting Life! Hallelujah!

If you haven't already done so, please ask Jesus to come into your heart today!

To the World With Love,
Randy Keith                       

“No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.” - Luke 11:33

En niemand steek ‘n lamp op en sit dit in ‘n verborge plek of onder die maatemmer nie, maar op die staander, sodat die wat binnekom, die lig kan sien.” - Luke 11:33

*****************************************
In His Service,
Sherry and Jim Heard
Sherry’s Inspirational list

MISSION STATEMENT: Our mission is to be the channel, not the source, through which we pray God’s blessings may flow to others. Our ministry is not to provide counseling, advice, or doctrinal interpretation. For this we refer you to local spiritual leaders who may know and deal with your needs more personally. It is our prayer that God may truly bless your day through the inspiration we seek to channel your way. In Him, Sherry and Jim Heard

When forwarding / copying, please include the entire message.

To subscribe please send an email to:
Sherrys_Inspirational-subscribe@googlegroups.com

We invite you to visit our website at: http://groups.google.com/groups/Sherrys_Inspirational 

No comments:

Post a Comment